The American Advertising Awards is the advertising industry's largest and most representative competition, attracting nearly 35,000 entries every year in local AAF competitions. The mission of the American Advertising Awards is to recognize and reward the creative spirit of excellence in the art of advertising.
Conducted annually by the AAF, the local tier is the first of a three-tier, national competition. Concurrently, across the country, local entrants vie to receive an ADDY Award—recognition as the very best in their markets. At the second tier, local ADDY winners compete against winners from other local clubs in one of 15 district competitions. District ADDY winners are then forwarded to the third tier, the national stage of the American Advertising Awards. Entry in your local competition is the first step toward winning a national ADDY.
Entering the American Advertising Awards supports the entire advertising industry, because the AAF and its local and district affiliates use the proceeds to enhance advertising through programs such as public service, internships, advocacy groups, advertising education, and consumer awareness.
Selection of the most creative entry in each category is affected by a scoring process in which a panel of judges evaluates all creative dimensions of every entry. A Gold ADDY is recognition of the highest level of creative excellence and is judged to be superior to all other entries in the category. Entries that are also considered outstanding and worthy of recognition receive a Silver ADDY. The number of awards given in each category is determined by the judges, based on the relative quality of work in that category.
The American Advertising Awards Competition: Student Division, is a unique national awards program designed specially for college students. Work entered at the local level can advance to the regional and national judging, just like the work entered by professionals across the country.
- Applicants must be enrolled full-or part-time in an accredited U.S. post-secondary educational institution
- Student interns are eligible to enter
- Submitted work must have been developed specifically for this competition, from previous projects or other student contests (work must be created while the entrant is a student not employed in the advertising industry)
National winning entries may receive the following:
- Finalist certificate—great for resumés and portfolios
- Prestigious Student American Advertising Award for all National Gold and Silver ADDY Award winners
- $1,000 cash prize for national Best of Show winner