Nomination Criteria & Submissions Materials
Advisors of AAF college chapters are encouraged to nominate their one or two most outstanding students to submit individual nomination packages. The contents of each student-prepared digital nomination package are described below.
Note that being nominated is an honor and should be listed on the student's resume as follows:
- 2018 Vance and Betty Lee Stickell Award, selected as an outstanding member, ________ University's student chapter of the American Advertising Federation.
All nominees must meet the following criteria:
- Be an undergraduate member in good standing of an AAF college chapter.
- Be graduating in December of 2018 or May of 2019.
- Be returning to college in the Fall Term, 2018.
This year, approximately twenty outstanding students will be selected for 10-week internships at U.S media organizations, advertising agencies, client and supplier companies. Each intern placed through the program will receive a salary of typically $4,800 for the 10-week internship ($12 per hour for 40 hours per week is recommended) plus either a $1,500 scholarship to cover their travel and living expenses or a housing allowance provided by their host company.
On-line Package Materials -- Digital nomination packages must be received no later than Friday, December 1, 2017 at 5:00 p.m., CST. See submission instructions below.
The nomination package for each student must include only the following seven items:
1. A cover page that includes the following information: 2018 AAF Vance and Betty Lee Stickell Student Internship Nomination Package for: ________
(a) name of the nominee; (b) the nominee's college/university; the nominee's mailing address, email address, and telephone number; (c) their Faculty Advisor's name, title, mailing address, email address, and telephone number.
In addition, the nominee should include two short paragraphs on their cover page in which they describe: (a) their university major and area(s) of emphasis in their degree program; and, (b) their short- and long-term career objectives.
Note that students interested in a creative career path (art director, copywriter, designer, content producer, etc.) must include a URL link to their online portfolio.
2. A current resume.
3. A separate page that lists and briefly describes all:
(a) extracurricular activities; and, (b) work experience of the nominee. Work experience includes all part-time and summer jobs, internships, as well as any campus jobs or counseling assignments. (List each chronologically, with most recent dates first.)
4. A letter on university stationery from their Faculty Advisor that addresses the personal and scholarly attributes that qualify the nominee to participate in the program.
5. Two additional letters of recommendation supporting the student's nomination. (These letters can be from anyone who knows the nominee well, e.g., a former employer, a classroom teacher, pastor or parole officer.)
6. On a separate page, respond to both (a) the most effective brand; and, (b) the heroes essays described below.
- Most Effective Brand. Which nationally distributed U.S. brand currently has the most effective and efficient Integrated Brand Promotion (IBP) programs? Explain your rationale for selecting this brand. (Maximum of 300 words total.)
- Heroes. Who are your heroes and why? (i) Identify someone you know personally that you have looked up to and used as a role model. (ii) Identify a person who is widely known by the general public that you particularly admire and have used as a role model. Briefly explain what you admire about each of these two people and why. (Maximum of 200 words total for each hero.)
7. An official transcript of all the nominee's college/university work. It is okay and please be sure to submit a copy of the transcript in the nomination package
Submission Deadline: Friday, December 1, 2017 5:00 p.m. CST
Compile all nomination package materials described above into a single PDF file. Please be sure to follow the order indicated above beginning with your cover page and ending with your transcript.
Please upload your nomination package PDF to your Google Drive or DropBox. Then send the link to the AAF Stickell Assistant Internship Coordinator: America Anguiano at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on the AAF honors internship program, see our website (http://advertising.utexas.edu/aafstickellinternships/) or call 512.471.1101 or email email@example.com